Interesting in starting a blog? Awesome! We live during an amazing time where anyone anywhere can influence anyone, anywhere. A blog is an incredible audience-building tool when used correctly.
But you might be wondering, “How do I come up with a good blog name?” Well, we’ve got you covered.
- A powerful blog name is important for attracting readers and standing out.
- An effective blog name should be easy to spell and say, brief, imaginative, and reflective of your blog's content and target audience.
- Craft a unique and memorable blog name by capturing the essence of your blog's content, standing out from others in your niche, utilizing online tools, and considering the longevity and availability of the name as a domain.
- It can be a good idea to use an online software tool to help you find the right blog name.
- Consider factors such as future growth, expansion, simplicity, and resonance with your niche when selecting a blog name.
- A catchy blog name can make all of the difference, especially for new bloggers.
The Critical First Step: Define Your “Why"
To define your 'why' when coming up with a blog name, start by understanding your purpose and motivation for creating a blog. This is a critical first step because it sets the foundation for everything else.
Think about your target audience and what you want to achieve with your blog. Are you looking to share your knowledge and expertise with others?
Or perhaps you want to connect with like-minded individuals and create a community.
Once you have a clear understanding of your purpose, brainstorm related words and phrases that resonate with you.
Consider the tone and style you want to convey and try to come up with a name that reflects your personality and the essence of your blog.
What's Behind the Power of a Blog Name
Discover the significance of a blog name and how it can greatly impact the success and recognition of your blog.
A catchy and creative blog name can make all the difference in attracting readers and standing out in a sea of competition. Here's why a powerful blog name matters:
- Memorability: A unique name grabs attention and sticks in the minds of your audience. It helps them remember your blog and keeps them coming back for more.
- Search Engine Optimization: A well-chosen blog title can improve your blog's visibility in search engines. Including relevant keywords in your blog name can increase your chances of appearing in search results and attracting organic traffic.
- Brand Building: A strong blog name helps you establish a brand identity and build a loyal following. It sets the tone for your blog posts and creates a sense of trust and credibility among your readers.
Qualities of an Effective Blog Name
When it comes to choosing an effective blog name, there are several qualities you should consider.
First, make sure it's easy to spell and say, as this will make it more memorable to your audience.
Second, keep it brief and to the point, avoiding long and complicated names that can be hard to remember.
Lastly, be imaginative and come up with a name that stands out and reflects the unique identity of your blog.
1. Easy to Spell and Say
When brainstorming for a blog name, it's essential to choose one that's easy for your audience to spell and say. Making your blog name easy to spell and say is an easy way to ensure that your audience remembers it and can easily share it with others.
Here are three reasons why having a blog name that's easy to spell and say is a good way to go:
- Short names: Short names are easier to spell and say than long, complicated ones. They're also more memorable and catchy, making it easier for your audience to remember and search for your blog.
- Easy to spell: When your blog name is easy to spell, it reduces the chances of your audience misspelling it when searching for your blog or sharing it with others. This ensures that your blog is easily accessible and discoverable.
- Easy to say: A blog name that's easy to say is more likely to be shared verbally. When people can easily pronounce and say your blog name, they're more likely to talk about it with their friends, increasing its reach and visibility.
Choosing a blog name that's easy to spell and say is a good name because it helps create a positive user experience for your audience. It also contributes to creating a sense of belonging as your audience can easily connect and share your blog with others.
2. Brief and To the Point
To create an effective blog name, strive for brevity and clarity. When choosing a blog name, it's important to keep it short and to the point. Long and complicated names can be difficult to remember and may not resonate with your audience.
A blog name should reflect the content and focus of your blog, especially if you have a specific blog niche like a travel blog. The best way to come up with a suitable name is to brainstorm keywords that are relevant to your blog's topic and audience.
Remember to keep it unique and memorable, as there are many blogs out there with similar names. By choosing the best blog name, you can set yourself apart and attract readers who are looking for your specific content.
3. Use Your Imagination
To create an effective blog name that sparks imagination, focus on crafting a unique and memorable title that captures the essence of your blog's content and resonates with your target audience. Here are three tips to help you come up with an imaginative blog name:
- Use online tools: Utilize online tools like domain name generators and keyword research tools to explore different combinations of words and phrases. This will help you find a unique word or phrase that stands out and isn't already saturated in search results.
- Think long-term: Consider the longevity of your blog name. Choose a name that will still be relevant and appealing in the long run, even as trends change.
- Stand out from the crowd: Avoid using common words and instead opt for a blog name that sets you apart from others in your niche. Be creative and find a great place where your blog name can shine.
4. Make It Memorable
Crafting a Unique and Memorable Blog Name for Your Target Audience
Creating a title that captures the essence of your blog's content and stands out from others in your niche is a great way to make a lasting impression.
When brainstorming for the perfect name, consider using made-up words or combining existing words to create something catchy and memorable.
Ensure that the name is also available as a domain, as this will make it easier for your audience to find you online. Take your time in this step, as your blog name will be with you for a long time.
The next step is to test the name with your target audience and see if it resonates with them. This step is crucial in ensuring that your blog name connects with the people you want to reach.
By gathering feedback and insights from your target audience, you can make informed decisions and choose a name that truly resonates with them.
5. Flexible for Growth
One key quality of an effective blog name is its ability to be flexible for growth, allowing you to expand and evolve your content over time.
A blog name that's adaptable and can accommodate different topics and themes will serve as a good place for your ideas to flourish.
To ensure flexibility, consider the following:
- Incorporate related terms: Choose a blog name that encompasses the broad scope of your content, allowing you to cover various subjects without feeling limited.
- Avoid special characters: Special characters in your blog name may cause confusion and make it harder for readers to find you. Stick to simple and easy-to-remember names.
- Consider domain extensions: Think about the future growth of your blog and choose a domain extension that aligns with your long-term goals.
Best Practices for Naming Your Blog
When naming your blog, it's important to consider the optimal length for the name. Short and memorable names tend to work best in terms of attracting readers and making your blog easy to remember.
Another consideration is whether or not to use your own name, as this can give your blog a personal touch and establish your brand as an individual.
Lastly, it's worth considering whether or not to include the word 'blog' in your name, as it may not always be necessary and can add unnecessary length to the name.
Optimal Length for a Blog Name
Choose a blog name that's between 2 and 4 words long for optimal impact and memorability.
When it comes to naming your fashion blog, the length of the name plays a crucial role in capturing the attention of your audience and leaving a lasting impression.
Here are a few reasons why an optimal length for your blog name is important:
- Impact: A shorter blog name tends to have a stronger impact on readers. It can be catchy, easy to remember, and instantly convey the essence of your blog.
- Memorability: With an optimal length, your blog name becomes more memorable. It becomes easier for readers to recall and share with others, increasing your blog's visibility.
- Contextually Relevant: Keeping your blog name concise ensures that it remains relevant to your fashion blog's content. It helps create a clear association between your blog's name and its focus, making it easier for readers to understand what they can expect.
Should You Use Your Own Name
If you want your blog name to have a personal touch, consider using your own name. Using your first name as the name of your blog can create a sense of authenticity and connection with your readers.
It gives a personal touch and allows you to build a personal brand around your name.
This can be especially beneficial if you're starting your own blog for the first time. However, before making the final decision, there are a few important things to consider. Make sure your name is easy to spell and remember. It should also reflect the content and niche of your blog.
Using your own name can be a great choice if you want to create a sense of belonging and identity with your readers.
Is it Necessary to Say "Blog"
Consider including the word 'blog' in your blog name to clearly communicate the purpose and focus of your content. While it may not be necessary to use the word 'blog' in your blog name, there are certain benefits to doing so.
Here are three reasons why you might want to consider including 'blog' in your blog name:
- Clarity: By including the word 'blog' in your name, visitors will immediately understand that your website is a blog and not just a regular website. This can help attract the right audience who are specifically looking for blog content.
- SEO Optimization: Including the word 'blog' in your name can also improve your search engine optimization (SEO) efforts. It signals to search engines that your website is a blog, increasing the chances of ranking higher in search results for relevant keywords.
- Differentiation: Adding 'blog' to your name can help differentiate your website from other types of websites. This is particularly important if you have a lifestyle blog or a niche-specific blog, as it can help potential readers immediately understand the type of content they can expect.
Other Important Factors to Consider
Now that you've considered the best practices for naming your blog, it's important to think about two other crucial factors.
First, you need to identify your target audience and understand who you're trying to reach with your blog. This will help you tailor your name to appeal directly to them.
You should ensure that the name resonates with your niche, reflecting the specific topics and themes that your blog will cover.
1. Who is Your Target Audience
Identifying your ideal readership is crucial when brainstorming a blog name. Understanding who your target audience is will help you create a name that resonates with them and makes them feel like they belong.
Here are three important factors to consider when determining your target audience:
- Demographics: Consider the age, gender, and location of your ideal readers. This will help you tailor your blog name to their preferences and interests.
- Interests and Values: Think about the type of content you'll be sharing on your blog and the values that align with it. Your blog name should reflect these interests and values to attract the right audience.
- Niche: Determine the specific topic of your blog and find a way to incorporate it into your blog name. This will make it clear to potential readers what they can expect from your content.
At the end of the day, your blog name should capture the essence of your content and resonate with your target audience.
Put in the hard work and creativity to come up with the best ideas, ensuring that your blog name has an available .com domain for a professional online presence.
2. Does the Name Resonate With Your Niche?
When determining your blog name, it is important to ensure that it resonates with your niche and consider other important factors as well.
Your blog name should accurately reflect the content and focus of your blog, making it easier for your target audience to identify what your blog is all about.
To help you come up with a blog name that resonates with your niche, here are some other important factors to consider:
|Factors to Consider
|Social Media Accounts
|Check the availability of your desired blog name on various social media platforms. Having consistency across all your social media accounts will make it easier for your audience to find and follow you.
|If you are a food blogger, it is essential to have a blog name that reflects your niche. Incorporate keywords related to food, cooking, or recipes to attract your target audience.
|If you plan to monetize your blog through affiliate marketing, consider a blog name that can easily incorporate affiliate links. For example, if you are a fashion blogger, a blog name like "StyleSavvy" can seamlessly incorporate affiliate links to clothing or accessories.
|If you want to personalize your blog, consider using your last name as part of your blog name. This can create a sense of authenticity and make it more personal for your audience. However, make sure it still resonates with your niche and doesn't limit your blog's potential growth.
How to Come Up with a Blog Name: 19 Tools and Ideas
In order to help you come up with some blog names, we’ve compiled some of the best tools and ideas you’ll find anywhere.
Let’s start with some proven blog name ideas, and then I’ll share with you some of my favorite blog name generators.
1. Brand an animal
This might be a bit of an unusual recommendation to start, but if you are looking for creative names look no further than your local zoo. Many blogs, online services, and even companies have used an animal in their branding.
A few examples that come to mind include: HostGator (web hosting service), Jaguar (car company) and Resume Rabbit (career services company). If you are struggling with finding a domain name, then attach an animal to your topic. Ideally, you’ll want to select an animal who carries the characteristics and values of your blog.
2. Use the Rip-and-Pivot method
The Rip and Pivot Method is a marketing technique where you find something that works in an unrelated industry, then make it your own in your industry. If you are a blogger on parenting, you could do some research on the most popular blogs in the personal finance niche. You might find a blog named NerdWallet. Bring that idea over to your parenting niche go with NerdDad. You get the idea.
3. The Two Ideas Smoosh method
Are you a multi-passionate person? If you are thinking of starting more than one blog, then the answer is yes. Why not combine your passions into one cool business name? A great example is NerdFitness. Steve Kamb combined his passion for video games and fitness into one amazing blog name. Take two ideas and smoosh them into one brand.
4. Look at competitors
You can also get some great ideas by just doing a bit of research online in your niche. The goal is not to steal the names of others, but to get inspiration. Do a Google search on a topic in your niche and jot down the domain names that show up on the first page.
5. Thumb through a thesaurus
Don’t forget about that great thesaurus lying around the house! You might be one synonym away from some cool business names. If you don’t have a thesaurus at home, just use an online thesaurus.
6. Get inspiration from the bookshelf
Book publishers spend a great deal of time and effort on book titles. Walk over to your bookshelf (or your local library) and look for words or phrases you like. Or do a little browsing on Amazon. Then make your own combination.
7. Try a different language
Another popular branding method is to use a word you like but in a different language. For example, Mirasee is a website dedicated to helping people grow an audience and make an impact. Mirasee is a Latin word meaning “vision” or “to see.” Use a tool like Google Translate and try out a few words you like.
8. Build a personal brand
You can also keep the whole naming process simple by using your own name. If you are using your blog to position yourself as an expert or coach, for example, your name is your brand.
9. Use a blog name generator
If you’re still struggling with how to come up with a blog name, then use a blog name generator. Basically, you input a few keywords you like and then hit “go.” The name generator will return to you a list of ideas and phrases you could have never come up with on your own. In fact, the rest of this list is ten business name generators you can use.
This one has been a favorite of mine for years. Just plug in a few words into DomainsBot and the system will return to you both blog name ideas related to your keywords and synonyms as well. This tool is also a domain name generator, meaning it will also let you know if your blog name idea is available as a .com, .org, etc.
With Wordoid.com you don’t even need to supply the tool with keywords. On the home page, you’ll find some creative words you can explore to turn into a cool blog name.
Panabee is another straightforward brand name generator. Just toss in some keywords and let it do its thing. Panabee will mostly just give you domain name suggestions, but it’s still a neat tool.
Namemesh might seem like just another website name generator, but it has a unique twist. This tool will display results into categories such as: common, similar, new, SEO, short, fun, extra and mix. Depending on the branding style you are going for, you can find blog name ideas in just a singular category like “fun.”
14. Domain Wheel
DomainWheel is a simple domain generator. When you use this generator, be sure to scroll down to find the creative name suggestions.
Nameboy boasts of being the oldest and most popular domain name generator in the world. They do tend to have more domain name variations and ideas than some of the other tools, so be sure to check them out.
At first sight, 123Finder looks like a 1990’s Alta Vista website. But upon closer look, they have some creative domain name suggestions. You can look up available domains based on the number of characters or even explore ideas in a French dictionary.
Nothing too special with DomainIt, but it might have a few good names for you to draw from.
18. Lean Domain Search
Lean Domain Search will return many creative ideas by adding words before or after your keywords. While this feature is not exclusive to them, they do a great job on this feature.
19. Shopify Business Name Generator
I’m sure you’ve heard of Shopify, but did you know they have a business name generator? This is a cool name generator because it returns many unique ideas we did find in other tools. Be sure to check them out.
Questions to consider before coming up with a blog name
Before you go running off to purchase that domain name, there are a few important questions you must consider.
Who is your audience?
Do you know who your audience is? What are their demographics? What interests and passions do they have? The more deeply acquainted you can become with the audience you want to serve, the better off you’ll be.
What are their goals?
Do you know what their goals are? If so, you might be able to use their aspirations and turn them into a brand name. Take for example this blog. the brand name Blogging Your Passion was not by accident. We wanted to evoke a spark or desire in someone when they came across our brand.
Do they have an egoic label?
Egoic labels are the terms we might use to describe ourselves. Obvious examples include a golfer, entrepreneur, or geek. Jeff Goins used this strategy to name his blog, GoinsWriter.com.
What are their struggles?
You can also tap into your audience’s struggles and turn them into a unique domain name. A great example is the blog ManVsDebt.com. Adam Baker found himself in over $100k in debt and used the blog to catalog his struggle and ultimate triumph to pay it all off in a short period of time.
When squished together in a domain name, does it read okay?
The last bit of advice on coming up with a blog name is to consider how the domain looks once it is squished together in a single word. It is possible to turn three words into one word, only to have it read entirely different than you intended. For instance, you can read the following domains, two different ways (look closely):
Do you see it? If not, I’m not going to spell it out for you. The point here is to make sure to read over your blog name idea once it is all squished together in one domain name.
There you have it! Plenty of resources to help you come up with a creative name for your blog. Use the tools and tips above and get started blogging!