How Do You Make Money with a Blog: Top 9 Methods Explained
Whenever someone is first introduced to the world of blogging, invariably, the first question is, “How do you make money with a blog?“
Right after they start a blog, they want to know how to get paid to blog. It is a fair question, for sure.
After all, if you are not familiar with the concept at all, then you wonder if it is a legitimate way to earn an online income.
Can you just write a blog post and make money by blogging?
Before I answer the question, how do you make money with a blog, it can be extremely beneficial to think through the goals, passions, and struggles of your ideal audience.
Once you understand the audience you want to serve, you’ll have a better idea of which of the following income streams works best.
How Do Bloggers Get Paid?
The 2 Types of Blogging Income
To better understand how to make money from blogging, we need to explore the two main types of blogging income.
1. Low Maintenance Passive Income – This is really the ideal type of income because it can provide you and your family with freedom.
This is the most often recurring passive income stream that you can enjoy. This type of money happens without your personal involvement. It is scale-able.
Meaning that making money online does not require you to exchange time for money at the moment.
Some examples would include Google Adsense (or any paid-for-clicks campaign), membership sites, selling advertisement space, affiliate marketing sales, and even ebook sales.
If you can get paid for something while you are sleeping and it does not require you to exchange future time for making money, then you have a low-maintenance passive income stream.
The individual transactions are smaller, but they happen more often and don’t require your time.
Every morning when I wake up, I can log into my Google Adsense account and see that I made money while I was sleeping.
2. Personal Involvement High Income – The idea of this strategy is that if something involves your personal time, it should cost more. After all, your time should be valuable to you, right?
If you offer personal consulting for your niche, you should charge what your personal time is worth to you. It also matters the type of reach that you are able to get as well.
For example, you do not have to charge as much for a webinar with 100 participants as you might with a personal consultation. You would charge even more for live speaking events as well.
The ideal strategy would be to set up low-maintenance passive income streams that meet your household budget so that you can spend your time in higher-income events that require personal involvement.
To be honest, each has its benefits.
Passive income streams allow you to enjoy the freedom to use your time how you choose.
Personal involvement income ideas allow you to interact with others and make a difference in other people.
How Do You Make Money with a Blog? My 9 Favorite Methods
To monetize a blog, successful bloggers employ numerous strategies and methods. In this comprehensive step-by-step guide, we will delve into nine key areas that can help turn your passion for writing into a profitable venture.
We'll begin by exploring affiliate marketing, discussing its benefits for bloggers, and how to find the right programs while creating blog content that promotes these products effectively.
Next, we'll examine digital products and e-commerce opportunities as well as best practices for selling them on your blogging platform.
Moving forward, we'll dive into online courses and membership programs - covering their creation process and promotion techniques.
Additionally, we will look at various advertising revenue options available to bloggers, along with guidelines on incorporating ads seamlessly within your blog content.
Lastly, coaching services will be addressed in terms of offerings and promotional tactics.
Gaining wisdom from those who have traveled the blogging journey, this step-by-step guide will show you how to monetize your blog niche and unlock valuable insights.
Table of Contents (click to expand)
- How Do Bloggers Get Paid?
- The 2 Types of Blogging Income
- How Do You Make Money with a Blog? My 9 Favorite Methods
- Method 1. Affiliate Marketing
- Benefits of Affiliate Marketing for Bloggers
- Finding the Right Affiliate Programs
- Creating Content That Promotes Affiliate Products
- Method 2. Physical Products and E-Commerce
- Selling Physical Products on Your Blog
- Promoting Your Physical Products
- Method 3. Online Courses and Membership Programs
- Types of Online Courses Bloggers Can Create
- How to Promote Your Online Course Effectively
- Setting up a Membership Platform
- Method 4. Podcasting Sponsorship Opportunities
- What is Podcast Advertising?
- The Benefits of Podcast Advertising
- Finding Potential Sponsors
- Tips For Pitching To Potential Sponsors
- Method 5. YouTube Monetization Opportunities
- Making Money Blogging with Ads on Your Channel
- Beyond Ad Revenue: Other Ways You Can Make Money with Your Channel
- The Benefits of Monetizing Your YouTube Channel
- What To Watch Out For When Monetizing Your Channel
- Method 6. Self-Published Books and Audiobooks
- Writing Your Book
- Publishing Your Book on Amazon
- Earning Money from Your Book Sales
- Audiobooks on Audible
- Method 7. Blog Newsletter Sponsorship Opportunities
- How to Start a Blog Newsletter
- Selling Sponsorship Space
- Tips for Successful Newsletter Sponsorships:
- Method 8. Advertising Revenue Opportunities
- Types of Advertising Options Available for Bloggers
- Creating Ad Spaces on Your Blog
- Best Practices for Advertising on Your Blog
- Method 9. Coaching Services
- Types of Coaching Services Bloggers Can Offer
- Promoting Your Coaching Services Effectively
- Setting Up a Coaching Platform
- FAQs in Relation to How Do You Make Money With a Blog
- How Do You Make Money with a Blog?
- How Many Articles Do You Need to Make Money on a Blog?
- How Can I Make $100 a Month Blogging?
- How Much Money Does One Blog Make?
Method 1. Affiliate Marketing
To answer the question, how do you make money with a blog, we need to first understand affiliate marketing.
Affiliate marketing is a popular method for bloggers to generate income by recommending relevant products or services offered by third-party companies.
Bloggers earn commission-based earnings when referred customers make purchases via unique affiliate links embedded within promotional content pieces.
This section will look at the advantages of affiliate marketing for bloggers, how to select suitable programs, and developing content that advertises partner items successfully.
Benefits of Affiliate Marketing for Bloggers
- Passive Income: One of the main advantages of affiliate marketing is its potential to generate passive income. Once you create and publish your content with affiliate links, it can continue earning revenue as long as people click on those links and make purchases.
- No Inventory Management: Unlike selling physical products, there's no need to manage inventory or handle shipping logistics in affiliate marketing. This makes it an ideal option for bloggers who want to focus on creating quality content without worrying about product management tasks.
- Niche Flexibility: With countless available niches and industries offering various types of products/services through their respective platforms, like Amazon Associates Program or ShareASale Network, you have ample opportunities to find suitable offers matching your blog audience's interests/preferences perfectly.
Finding the Right Affiliate Programs
To maximize your success with affiliate marketing, it's crucial to partner with reputable programs that offer high-quality products/services aligned closely with your niche audience's needs/demands.
Here are some tips on finding such programs:
- Analyze Your Audience: Determine what type/solutions would be most appealing/useful based upon demographics/behavioral patterns observed among regular readers/subscribers
- Conduct Research: Check into a company's reputation/history before signing up as their affiliate partner, ensuring they maintain high standards regarding customer satisfaction/support;
- Review Commission Rates: Select programs offering competitive commission rates along with transparent/fair payment terms to maximize earnings potential while avoiding hidden fees/charges.
Creating Content That Promotes Affiliate Products
To effectively promote affiliate products through your blog content, consider implementing the following strategies:
- Write Product Reviews: Share your honest opinions/experiences using specific items/services by highlighting pros/cons/features/benefits in a balanced manner. This helps readers make informed decisions while increasing trustworthiness/authenticity levels; Add affiliate links to start making money from your blog niche.
- Create How-To Guides/Tutorials: Develop instructional materials demonstrating practical applications/use-cases involving recommended solutions, showcasing real-world value/utility derived from them;
- Incorporate Links Naturally: Avoid overloading posts/pages with excessive promotional links; instead, integrate them seamlessly within contextually relevant sections so that they don't appear forced or spammy.
- Share affiliate links on social media: Now, you don't want to be spammy about this, but when done correctly, it's a great strategy. See our post: how to use Pinterest for blogging.
Affiliate marketing can be a lucrative avenue for blog monetization, though there are numerous other choices to explore.
Digital products and e-commerce offer another avenue of income potential that should not be overlooked by content creators.
Method 2. Physical Products and E-Commerce
Blogging is not just about writing articles and sharing your thoughts with the world. It can also be a great way to sell physical products online.
If you have a blog, you can use it as an e-commerce platform to sell products related to your niche.
Selling Physical Products on Your Blog
If you want to start selling physical products on your blog, there are two popular options: Shopify and WooCommerce.
- Shopify: This is an all-in-one e-commerce solution that allows bloggers to create their own online store without any technical knowledge. With Shopify, you get access to customizable templates, secure payment processing, shipping integration, and more. You can easily add product listings directly to your blog posts or pages using embed codes or widgets.
- WooCommerce: This is a WordPress plugin that turns any website into an e-commerce store. Unlike Shopify, which charges monthly fees for its services, WooCommerce is free but requires some technical know-how to set up the store properly. However, once set up correctly, it offers limitless customization options making it ideal for those who already run blogs via WordPress sites.
Promoting Your Physical Products
To promote your physical products effectively on your blog, here are some tips:
- Create high-quality content around each of the products - this will help drive traffic through search engines like Google. Use an AI blog writing service like Content at Scale to write high-quality, SEO-optimized content for your blog.
- Add calls-to-action (CTAs) throughout every post, encouraging readers/customers alike to buy from within one of these posts.
- Incentivize customers by offering discounts when they purchase multiple items at once.
- Showcase customer reviews so potential buyers see what others think of them before purchasing themselves.
Selling physical products on your blog can be a great way to monetize your content and turn it into a profitable business.
By using platforms like Shopify or WooCommerce, you can easily set up an online store and start selling products related to your niche.
With some promotion through quality content and CTAs throughout every post, you'll soon see the benefits of this e-commerce strategy.
Method 3. Online Courses and Membership Programs
As you grow into your blogging journey, offering paid access to exclusive content through online courses or membership programs provides another avenue for monetizing blogs.
These can be created using course/membership platform tools like Teachable or Kajabi, which facilitate streamlined creation while handling payment processing securely.
Types of Online Courses Bloggers Can Create
The range of online courses bloggers make to meet their viewers' needs is limitless. Some popular types of online courses include:
- Tutorials and How-to Guides: These provide step-by-step instructions on specific topics, such as learning a new skill, software, or technique.
- Educational Content: Courses designed to teach subjects in-depth, ranging from history and science to personal development and business strategies.
- Mastery Classes: In-depth training focused on mastering a particular skill set or subject matter with expert guidance from the blogger/instructor.
How to Promote Your Online Course Effectively
Promoting your online course is crucial for its success. Here are some proven strategies you can use:
- Create compelling sales pages: A well-designed sales page will showcase the benefits of enrolling in your course while addressing potential objections.
- Leverage your email list: Send a series of emails to your subscribers, highlighting the value and benefits of your course.
- Utilize social media platforms: Share valuable content related to your course on various social media channels like Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, and Instagram. Engage with potential students by answering their questions or addressing their concerns.
- Collaborate with influencers in your niche: Partnering with other bloggers or industry experts can help you reach a wider audience through guest posts or joint webinars.
Setting up a Membership Platform
A membership platform allows you to offer exclusive content to paying members while providing an easy-to-use interface for managing subscriptions.
Some popular membership platforms include:
- Kajabi: A robust platform that offers features like drip content release, member management tools, and integration with popular payment gateways, designed specifically for digital entrepreneurs.
- Systeme.io: An all-in-one solution, similar to Kajabi, that allows for the creation of multiple tiers of access for different types of memberships, making it great for digital marketing efforts.
- Gumroad: An easy-to-use platform created specifically for creators looking to sell online courses and digital products, in addition to offering memberships, much like the features of Podia.
By incorporating online courses and membership programs into your blog monetization strategy, you can provide immense value while generating consistent income from loyal readers who appreciate the expertise you share within your niche.
Method 4. Podcasting Sponsorship Opportunities
If you're looking for a new way to monetize your blog, podcasting may be the answer.
Podcasts have become increasingly popular in recent years and offer a unique opportunity for bloggers to connect with their audience on a more personal level.
In addition, podcasts can also provide an avenue for sponsorship opportunities.
What is Podcast Advertising?
Podcast advertising involves promoting products or services through audio ads within a podcast episode.
These ads can take various forms, such as pre-roll (before the show starts), mid-roll (during the show), or post-roll (after the show ends).
The goal of these ads is to reach potential customers who are listening to your podcast.
The Benefits of Podcast Advertising
- Increase Revenue: By selling ad space on your podcast, you can generate additional income streams beyond traditional methods like affiliate marketing or sponsored posts.
- Broaden Your Audience: Sponsors will often promote their partnership with you by sharing links and snippets from your episodes across social media channels which can help increase visibility among new audiences.
- Credibility Boost: Partnering with well-known brands lends credibility to your own brand and provides validation that others see value in what you do.
Finding Potential Sponsors
To find sponsors for your podcast, start by reaching out directly to companies whose products align with topics covered in your episodes.
You could also consider using platforms like Podcorn or AdvertiseCast that connect advertisers directly with content creators.
Additionally, if you already have an established following, it's possible that brands may approach YOU about sponsoring future episodes!
Tips For Pitching To Potential Sponsors
- Be Specific: Be clear about what you're offering and how it will benefit the sponsor.
- Show Your Value: Provide examples of past successes or listener engagement to demonstrate why partnering with you is a smart investment.
- Pitch Multiple Options: Consider different sponsorship levels, such as single-episode ads, multi-episode packages, or even long-term partnerships that could include additional promotions on your blog or social media channels.
If you're looking for new ways to monetize your blog, podcast advertising may be an avenue worth exploring.
With its growing popularity and unique ability to connect with audiences in a personal way, podcasts offer many benefits beyond traditional blogging methods.
By following these tips for finding potential sponsors and pitching them effectively, you can start generating additional revenue streams while also broadening your audience reach! That's how you build a successful blog!
Method 5. YouTube Monetization Opportunities
If you're looking for ways to make money blogging, starting a YouTube channel could be an excellent option.
With over 2 billion monthly active users and more than one billion hours of video watched every day, YouTube is the second most popular search engine after Google.
Making Money Blogging with Ads on Your Channel
The most common way to monetize your YouTube channel is through ads. By enabling ads on your videos, you can earn a share of the revenue generated by those ads.
To do this, you need to join the YouTube Partner Program (YPP).
To qualify for YPP, your channel needs at least 1,000 subscribers and 4,000 watch hours in the past year. Once approved for YPP membership, you'll start earning money from ads displayed before or during your videos.
It's important to note that while ad revenue can be lucrative if done right, it takes time and effort to build up enough views and subscribers to generate significant income from advertising alone.
Beyond Ad Revenue: Other Ways You Can Make Money with Your Channel
- Sponsorships: Brands may pay influencers like YouTubers directly for product placements or sponsored content within their videos.
- Affiliate Marketing: Similar to blogging, affiliate marketing involves promoting other people's products in exchange for a commission when someone makes a purchase through your unique link.
- Merchandise: You can sell branded merchandise like T-shirts, mugs, and phone cases to your fans. This is a great way to monetize your channel while building a community around it.
The Benefits of Monetizing Your YouTube Channel
Besides the potential financial rewards that come with monetizing your YouTube content, there are other benefits as well:
- You'll have access to valuable analytics data that can help you understand what type of content resonates best with your audience.
- You'll gain exposure and potentially grow your brand or business by reaching new audiences through suggested videos and search results.
- You'll have the opportunity to connect more deeply with viewers who share similar interests and passions as you do.
What To Watch Out For When Monetizing Your Channel
To ensure that you're not violating any policies when monetizing your channel, be sure to read up on all terms & conditions before enabling ads. Some things worth noting include:
- Avoid using copyrighted material in your videos without permission from the owner(s).
- Avoid creating misleading titles or thumbnails for click bait purposes only.
- Avoid publishing controversial or offensive content, which may lead advertisers to pull out from running ads against such video(s).
If done right, starting a successful YouTube channel can provide excellent opportunities for both personal and financial growth.
With a little bit of effort, you could turn your passion into a profitable business.
Method 6. Self-Published Books and Audiobooks
Another way to build a successful blog is to turn your blog posts into books.
If you're a blogger or writer, self-publishing your own book can be an excellent way to monetize your blog.
With Amazon's Kindle Direct Publishing platform, it's easier than ever to get started.
Writing Your Book
The first step in self-publishing a book is writing it! Brainstorm ideas for topics that relate to your blog niche and start creating content.
You can also repurpose some of your existing successful blog posts into chapters for the book.
Once you have written your manuscript, consider hiring an editor or proofreader to help polish the final product.
This will ensure that readers enjoy reading it without any errors distracting them from the message.
Publishing Your Book on Amazon
To publish on Amazon, create an account with Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) and follow their guidelines carefully when uploading files, such as cover art and formatting requirements.
Earning Money from Your Book Sales
You'll earn royalties every time someone buys one of your books through Amazon.
The amount varies depending on factors like price point but typically ranges between 35% - 70%.
Additionally, if you enroll in KDP Select program, you’ll receive additional benefits like access to promotional tools, which helps increase visibility among potential customers.
Audiobooks on Audible
If you want to take your book publishing to the next level, consider creating an audiobook version of your work.
Amazon's ACX platform allows authors and publishers to create their own audiobooks and sell them through Audible.
By self-publishing books or producing audiobooks, bloggers can earn passive income from their writing while also establishing themselves as authorities in their respective niches.
Method 7. Blog Newsletter Sponsorship Opportunities
If you're looking to monetize your blog, one option that can be highly effective is selling sponsorship space in your newsletter.
A newsletter is a great way to engage with your audience and provide them with valuable content on a regular basis.
By offering sponsorship opportunities within this content, you can earn money while still providing value to your readers.
How to Start a Blog Newsletter
The first step in creating a profitable blog newsletter is choosing the right platform.
There are many email marketing services available, such as Mailchimp or ConvertKit, which offer easy-to-use templates and tools for creating newsletters.
I personally use Kajabi to run my weekly newsletter.
Once you've chosen your platform, it's important to determine what type of content will be included in each issue of the newsletter.
This could include updates on new blog posts or products/services offered by the blogger. It's also important to establish how frequently the newsletter will be sent out (e.g., weekly or monthly).
Selling Sponsorship Space
One way bloggers can make money online through their newsletters is by selling sponsored ad space within them.
Sponsors may pay for an advertisement spot at the top or bottom of each issue or even have their own dedicated section within the newsletter.
To find potential sponsors, bloggers should consider reaching out directly to companies whose products/services align with their niche and target audience.
Another option would be joining affiliate programs where brands are already interested in working with influencers like yourself!
Selling ad space in your weekly newsletter can be a nice passive income stream.
Tips for Successful Newsletter Sponsorships:
- Create engaging content: Make sure that all aspects of your newsletter - including sponsored ads - are high-quality and interesting enough that people want to read it every time they receive it!
- Pricing Strategy: When setting your pricing, consider the size of your audience and how much engagement you receive on each newsletter. You can also offer package deals for multiple newsletters to incentivize brands.
- Be Transparent: Be upfront with your readers about which content is sponsored so that they don't feel misled or taken advantage of.
Selling sponsorship space in a blog newsletter can be an effective way to monetize a blog while still providing value to readers.
By following these tips and guidelines, bloggers can create successful partnerships with sponsors and continue growing their brands!
Method 8. Advertising Revenue Opportunities
Sell ad space on your blog. Generating advertising revenue is an excellent way for bloggers to monetize their blogs without the need for inventory management.
By implementing suitable advertising options tailored to your niche audience, you can benefit from passive income streams through networks like Google AdSense, which pays on a per-click or per-impression basis.
Types of Advertising Options Available for Bloggers
- Banner Ads: These are visual advertisements placed in various locations on your blog, such as headers, sidebars, and footers. These ads come in different shapes and forms, such as images or animations.
- In-Content Ads: As the name suggests, these ads are embedded within your blog content. They can be either text-based or include visuals that blend seamlessly with the surrounding content.
- Sponsored Blog Posts: In this arrangement, companies pay you to create content promoting their products or services. It's essential to disclose sponsored posts clearly so that readers understand their promotional material.
- Affiliate Marketing: This involves promoting third-party products/services relevant to your niche by embedding unique tracking links within your content. You earn commissions when users make purchases via those links (learn more about affiliate marketing here).
Creating Ad Spaces on Your Blog
To effectively display ads on your blog, consider creating designated ad spaces using tools provided by ad networks like Google AdSense. Every blogging platform is different, but they should allow you to add ads to your site.
These tools allow you to customize ad placements based on user behavior data and preferences, ensuring a better user experience and potentially higher earnings.
Additionally, you can use WordPress plugins like Ad Inserter to manage ad placements easily.
Best Practices for Advertising on Your Blog
- User Experience: Ensure that ads do not disrupt the overall user experience by overloading your blog with too many advertisements or intrusive formats (e.g., pop-ups).
- Niche Relevance: Display ads relevant to your niche audience to increase engagement and click-through rates.
- A/B Testing: Experiment with different ad placements, sizes, and formats to determine what works best for your blog's performance and revenue generation.
- Diversify Revenue Streams: Combine various advertising options (e.g., banner ads, sponsored posts) alongside other monetization strategies such as affiliate marketing or selling digital products/services (learn more about diversifying income streams here).
Advertising revenue opportunities are an excellent way to monetize your blog and increase its value.
By offering coaching services, you can further capitalize on the success of your blog by providing more personalized advice and assistance to readers.
Method 9. Coaching Services
Coaching services provide personalized guidance tailored specifically toward individual clients' goals and objectives.
This can be accomplished through one-on-one or group sessions conducted via phone, Skype, Zoom, or in-person meetings, depending on the desired format.
Bloggers can offer coaching services related to their niche expertise or broader life skills development themes.
Types of Coaching Services Bloggers Can Offer
As a blogger with specific knowledge and experience in your field, you have the potential to help others achieve success by offering various types of coaching services. Some examples include:
- Career Coaching: Help clients navigate their professional journey by providing advice on job searching strategies, resume writing tips, interview preparation techniques, and career advancement opportunities.
- Lifestyle Coaching: Guide individuals towards improving their overall well-being by focusing on areas such as health & fitness routines, stress management techniques, work-life balance strategies, and personal growth initiatives.
- Niche Expertise Coaching: Share your specialized knowledge within your blog's niche (e.g., photography tips for aspiring photographers) to help clients improve their skills and reach new heights in that particular area.
Promoting Your Coaching Services Effectively
To attract potential clients interested in receiving coaching from you as an expert blogger within your field:
- Create a Work with Me Page: Create a dedicated page on your blog outlining the details of each coaching service offered, including pricing structures (Coach.me offers some great insights into pricing models here).
- Show Social Proof: Showcase testimonials from satisfied customers who've experienced positive results after working with you - this helps build credibility among prospective clientele while demonstrating your expertise.
- Promote to your List: Utilize your blog's email list to promote coaching services by sending out newsletters featuring success stories, special offers or discounts on coaching packages, and informative content related to the benefits of working with a coach in your niche.
Setting Up a Coaching Platform
To streamline the process of managing clients and scheduling sessions, consider using an online platform specifically designed for coaches. Some popular options include:
- Kajabi: This is my personal favorite. Kajabi is an all-in-one online business tool that specifically has coaching products, scheduling, and more built-in to the software.
- Calendly: An easy-to-use appointment scheduling software that integrates seamlessly with various calendar applications such as Google Calendar or Outlook.
- Paperbell: An all-in-one solution for selling coaching packages, booking appointments, handling payments, and more.
FAQs in Relation to How Do You Make Money With a Blog
How Do You Make Money with a Blog?
To make money from a blog, you can explore various monetization strategies such as affiliate marketing, selling digital products and e-commerce, offering online courses and membership programs, generating advertising revenue, and providing coaching services.
Choose the methods that align with your niche and audience preferences.
How Many Articles Do You Need to Make Money on a Blog?
There is no specific number of articles required to start making money blogging. However, having at least 20-30 high-quality blog posts can help establish credibility with your audience.
Consistently publishing valuable content will increase traffic over time, which in turn increases opportunities for monetization.
Use an AI blog post service like Content at Scale to create a high volume of content in a short period of time.
How Can I Make $100 a Month Blogging?
To earn $100 per month through blogging, focus on creating engaging content that attracts visitors while implementing multiple income streams like affiliate marketing, sponsored posts, or ad placements using platforms like Google AdSense.
Experimenting with different strategies helps identify what works best for your niche.
How Much Money Does One Blog Make?
The earning potential of one profitable blog varies greatly depending on factors such as niche selection, quality of content produced, website traffic, chosen monetization methods, and consistency in posting new material.
Some bloggers may only earn a few dollars monthly, while others generate thousands or even millions annually.
Overall, there are several ways how do you make money with a blog.
You can use affiliate marketing to promote products and earn commissions, sell digital products or set up an online store using e-commerce platforms like Shopify or WooCommerce.
Online courses and membership programs also offer great opportunities for bloggers to monetize their content.
In addition, advertising revenue options and coaching services are other avenues that bloggers can explore.
By implementing these strategies effectively, bloggers can turn their passion into profit and create a sustainable income stream from their blogs.