4 Simple Ways to Use Videos for Your Blog [Podcast]
Have you tried using video on your blog? I believe that it can add tremendous value when you do. I try to add video to my blogs as much as I can. Here are a few benefits of adding videos to your blog:
- It engages the readers for a longer time on your page. I have seen both my bounce rate drop and an increase in the length of the time that people stay on my site. I believe that these are factors that Google takes into account when ranking web pages.
- It endears the readers to you. It is a simple way to build authority with your readers. They get to know you and your personality. They engage with you at a new level.
- It adds tremendous value. It is one thing to read about how to do something, but when someone shows you on video, it just makes more sense.
- It increases the traffic to your blog. Each short video you record can be uploaded to YouTube. You can then easily embed your video into your blog post. Not only do you have a nice looking video in your blog post, but your video is able to pick up traffic on its own! More and more people go to YouTube and do a search for their questions than ever before.
If you are going to do it right, you need to have simple tools and simple systems for creating video. If it is taking you an extra 50-60 minutes to record and add a short 3-5 minute video, then it is taking you too long. I am going to share with you 4 ways you can engage your followers with video and then share with you 3 simple video capture tools that you can use.
To subscribe to the podcast
1. Create a Simple Power Point Presentation
The video below will explain this in more detail. Basically, you can set up a simple template in Google Docs and use it over and over again. Just type in your main points and record yourself talking through the points. Easy and it adds a ton of value.
2. Use an Online Whiteboard
I love to doodle. I have 3 whiteboards in my office that I am constantly using to write out ideas, thoughts, goals, and plans. Do a screen capture of you using an online whiteboard. I like to use scriblink.com. I have probably used it to record over 100 videos. It is easy to use and I think it engages people.
3. Screen Capture Your Computer
Performing a simple screen capture on your computer is another effective way to record video for your blog. It is basically the method that I am using below. In the video, I show various websites and how to use them to record video.
4. Record Video of Yourself
Another great way to connect with your audience is to record video of yourself. That way people can get to know you and see the expressions on your face. Maybe you can stand in front of a whiteboard and explain a process to your audience. use your creativity here.
4 Recording Tools That I Like to Use
Here are 3 screen capture tools that I use on a regular basis for my blogs. The reason I love these tools is because there is a one touch button to upload to YouTube.
1. Jing Recording Software – A simple desktop software that is free to download. Jing gives you 5 minutes of recording time and you can submit directly to YouTube. I created my entire first online course using the Jing software.
2. Screenr.com – Screenr.com is free and there is nothing to download. You can use it in any browser and directly upload to YouTube.
3. ScreenChomp – This is an iPad App that allows you to record right on your iPad. It has a nifty whiteboard that you can draw on. You can also upload your video at the touch of a button. If you want to see a video I created with it click here.
4. Camtasia – This is a paid software but a great tool for any blogger. I’ve used Camtasia on both the PC and the Mac. All of our online blogging courses were created using Camtasia. I also use this software to record all of my podcast for Blogging Your Passion and Simple Life Habits as well.
Below is a video explaining everything I just covered. If you cannot see the video below, watch 4 Simple Ways to Use Videos for Your Blog directly on YouTube.